Pages

Tuesday 22 March 2011

A Glasgow Reunion


The last time I was in Glasgow was 1992. I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to make a return visit, but this weekend I popped back for a couple of days. It’s a great city and reminds me a little of Dublin. My weekend consisted mainly of art and movies, a delightful combination at any time. This weekend I enjoyed: meringues at The Willow Tea Room; paintings by the Glasgow Boys and discovering one of my favourite painters, Sir John Lavery is a Glasgow Boy; sensory overload at Kelvingrove; veggie haggis for lunch; Submarine and Paddy Considine in leather and a mullet; beautifully shot but dull Japanese film named after a Beatles song; more emperor’s new clothes in GoMA; bedroom pods with walls that change colour; breakdancers on Buchanan street; an animated lizard in a Hawaiian shirt and cowboy hat; seafood pasta at The Mussel Inn; the Glasgow Film Theatre; gin and tonics; DVD buying in Fopp.