Pages

Monday 23 April 2012

Hanoi, Vietnam

So after three flights, various bus, train and taxi journeys, including an overnight stopover in Bangkok, I arrived in Hanoi yesterday, having travelled almost 7,000 miles. Vietnam, after the apparent serenity of my, albeit brief taste of Thailand, seems more chaotic and frenetic; the people a bit more surly and opportunistic if the experience of trying to get from the airport to the city is anything to go by. But also unexpected friendliness and generosity too, like the old man who smiled and waved at me from the bus going past mine or the young Vietnamese who wanted to talk to me to practice their English, who introduced me to their family then politely shook hands with me as they left.

But then there's always someone trying to sell you something be it a motorbike or rickshaw ride, a map, a guidebook, some toothpicks or even a pineapple. Or indeed your picture taken with a pineapple! Sadly it's unavoidable, but after a while you're almost always on your guard. Pickpockets are common and already I've heard stories of people having bags and wallets stolen.

Of the twenty-four hours I've spent in Hanoi it's been loud, brash, in your face and exhausting. There's the constant noise from car horns and revving motorbikes. It seems horns are used as a form of communication and as a way of giving out orders. Get out of my way! Move over! Police patrol the streets with loud hailers and microphones issuing commands to errant drivers parked illegally.

Then in the midst of all the chaos, there's the little things you notice. Like the exotic birds in cages hanging from the trees and the eaves of buildings; the people cooking food right out there on the street in amongst the exhaust fumes and open sewers and street dust; the piles of sandals and flip-flops at entrances to buildings; groups of Vietnamese huddled on low stools drinking coffee or iced tea whilst casting a curious look in your direction.

I spent some time at Hoàn Kiém Lake today, a little oasis of serenity in the heart of Hanoi's Old Quarter surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the rest of the city. I'm not too sure how I feel about Hanoi but I'm certainly glad to have had the opportunity to experience it.

Tonight I met the rest of my fellow travellers and the people I'll be spending the next seven weeks with. A mixed bunch of Australians, Kiwis, Americans and Brits. We went for dinner, we shared stories, we laughed and we got to know each other. Here's hoping we have an amazing trip.